The importance of crawling

This is a great article I read recently. Ryan's progress is so slow that I get disheartened when he doesnt move quicker. Case in point he has been army crawling for a little while now and I cant wait for the day he will get up on all fours and crawl although I know it will be some months away, he just doesnt have the arm strength at the moment. But then I read this article and I was thankful he is army crawling as it outlined to me how important that skill was to his overall development. Its a skill most typical kids skim over on their way to crawling. I also love the way it has made Ryan a little more independant as hes making choices now on where he wants to go and what he wants to play with. He is also very interested in the patterns and textures he is crawling over so I do think its true what it says in the article about how it helps close vision

http://nacd.org/newsletter/1009_down_syndrome_crawling.php

Comments

PATRICIA WEISS said…
I am going to be a grandmother for the first time. My son who is the prospective father never learned to crawl and went straight on to walking. He was always in the talented and gifted program throughout his school years. He was read to every day from birth. He was reading the unabridged version of Huckleberry Finn and recognized for a talent in writing at 7 years of age.Presently at 35 years old he is a published author and one of the most successful bloggers in the country as well as an avid cyclist. So far as we can tell missing this developmental stage has had only positive effects.
PW

Popular Posts